But in slightly more normal circumstances, healthy boundaries help you determine where to draw the line with regards to other people's behavior, their treatment of you, and what you will allow in your life. Such boundaries are not about being contentious, argumentative, defensive or rude. Boundaries almost always involve some kind of consequence if they are not adhered to, but it is you who must decide what the consequences are and whether you are capable of sticking to them.
Healthy boundaries can be applied to partners, children, parents, siblings, other family, friends, colleagues, neighbors, etc. A lack of healthy boundaries almost always signals a lack of self-love.
Ask these questions of yourself to determine where you stand with respect to healthy boundaries:
- do you allow another to treat you in ways you find less than kind and living and tell yourself that it's OK because underneath that behavior they actually love you? Or because since you are so loving, there is no need to become contentious about the matter?
- do you tell yourself that not making waves, and keeping the peace is more important than standing up for your rights?
- do you notice frequent twisting and pulling in your gut when others stand you up, treat you less than lovingly, or are unkind, but pay no attention to that very physical sensation in your gut?
- do you tell yourself that it is more important not to lose friends than to tell them (and hence risk their disapprobation or anger) that they are behaving in unacceptable ways?
- do you believe that it is more important to love the other than yourself?
One final point: how would you allow another to treat your beloved child? I imagine you have it quite clear in your mind what you would and would not tolerate with regards to that beloved child. That is how you need to begin treating yourself.
Also visit my book website: www.gabriellakortsch.com where you may download excerpts or read quotations from any of my books. My new book Emotional Unavailability & Neediness: Two Sides of the Same Coin is now out globally on Amazon in print & Kindle. You can also obtain it (or any of my other books) via Barnes & Noble.
Books by Dr. Gabriella Kortsch (English)
If you are wondering why this blog is now only appearing on alternate days (excluding Sat/Sun), it is because I also post on my other blog on the others days. That other blog is The Tao of Spiritual Partnership, so named for another one of my books. Click here to visit the blog and/or to sign up for the feed.
My blog posts are also featured on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest & you can find me on Instagram
Meine Bücher auf deutsch April 2015 / Mis libros en español abril 2015
Angefangen mit Rewiring the Soul - auf deutsch: Wiedervereinigung mit der Seele (Blog hier), werden meine Bücher auf Amazon im April 2015 erhaltbar sein.
Empezando con Rewiring the Soul - en español: Reconectar con el Alma (blog aquí), se podrán encontrar mis libros en Amazon en español en todo el mundo a partir de abril 2015.