Let's look at another version of these you should's that enter our lives in much more insidious ways:
- you should be successful
- you should be rich
- you should be famous
- you should be young (or look young)
- you should be thin
- you should wear this
- you should carry a handbag with that label
- your briefcase should be made by that firm
- you should belong to that political party
- you should not marry outside of your religion, ethnicity, etc.
- you should be invited to that dinner
- you should choose your friends from that section of society
- you should read this book, or that newspaper
- you should drink this wine
- you should be familiar with the cuisine of that country
Much of this sounds dreadfully superficial, and yet we all know to what extent we are influenced by thoughts or guidelines of this nature due to the daily barrage of input we receive from not only the media, but also from the people in our lives.
So here is the question: are you aware of how much of your life is decided by these (and other) you should's? Do you know that you can make other choices, that may, in fact, be much better for you, as long as you are willing to be different? Have you examined which of your choices are indeed yours, and which are based on what YOU think you should do?
To download the first chapter, click here
From the Description on Amazon: Ask anyone, whatever their circumstances, if their life is vibrant, fulfilling, harmonious and happy. An honest reply is likely to be 'no', because to answer a truthful 'yes' is no mean feat. Only to grow psychologically and emotionally is not enough. And only to grow spiritually is not enough either. All three dimensions need to be developed in order to realize your full potential. If you are willing to assume total responsibility for the self and to start what is an on-going journey, you will quickly begin to glimpse the first fruits of the ultimate goal: inner well-being, freedom, peace, harmony and joy. This book sets out the pathway to self-mastery and self-discovery and walking that pathway will be the most exciting adventure of your life.